Coronado offers a free Mandarin Dual Language Immersion Program (中文沉浸式教学) for kindergarten through fourth-grade students for the 2017/2018 school year.
Some of the proven benefits of acquiring second language
• High proficiency in the immersion language
• Performance on English standardized tests meets or exceeds non-immersion students
• Promotes greater cognitive flexibility, increased attention control, better memory, and superior problem solving skills
• Enhanced understanding of primary language
• Increased cultural sensitivity
• Better prepared for the future in a global society
How does it work?
Students in the Mandarin Immersion Program will receive instruction in both Mandarin Chinese and English during their school day. Math and science are taught by a certified teacher whose is also a native Mandarin speaker. Language Arts and Social Studies are taught by an English speaking teacher. The students also participate in all other programs at Coronado, including music, physical education, the art, after-school options and more.
Thursday Morning Mandarin Tour
Parents and families can learn more about the program during Mandarin Tours. To schedule your tour, please contact call the front office at (480) 279.6900.
*Students who will be in 3rd grade or higher will take a school evaluation in Chinese Language Arts to determine placement.
Read more about the benefits of immersion education in this academic paper
A Mandarin/English Two-Way Immersion Program: Language Proficiency and Academic Achievement (An academic research study
Check out this story about Coronado's Mandarin program as published in the Arizona Republic.