Best Buddies Chaparral Chapter
Calling all 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th Grade Chaparral Sharks! Are you interested in being more active around campus and your community? Do you want to make lasting new friendships? Then complete an application to be a Best Buddies Peer!
Best Buddies is the world’s largest organization dedicated to ending the social, physical and economic isolation of the 200 million people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). These programs empower the special abilities of people with IDD by helping them form meaningful friendships with their peers, secure successful jobs, live independently, improve public speaking, self-advocacy and communication skills, and feel valued by society.
Last school year was our third year as a Best Buddies chapter, and it was a very successful year. In fact, our school is one of the most involved and active elementary Best Buddies chapters in the state!! Below are some of the events/activities our chapter participated in last school year:
- Best Buddies Peers interacted with Buddies during lunch, recess, and choice time in the cross-categorical special education classrooms throughout the school year.
- Best Buddies Peers interacted with Buddies during the Turkey Trot, Jingle Jog, and Boosterthon Fun Run!
- We attended the “Spread the Word Inclusion” Carnival at Higley High School! This was a field trip during the school day where our peers and buddies enjoyed time together playing carnival games and hanging out.
- Some of our members participated in the Friendship Walk!
- We celebrated the end of a successful school year with a party in the gym!
Please visit https://www.bestbuddies.org/ to learn more about this great organization!
You may also contact Kristy Diamond, Chaparral Best Buddies Chapter Advisor: Kristine.email@example.com, 480-279-9742.