STUDENT COVID-19 EXCLUSION GUIDELINES
Exclude symptomatic students who have ANY ONE of the following: fever of 100.4 or above, new onset or worsening cough, shortness of breath not attributable to underlying cause (e.g., asthma), diarrhea, vomiting, chills, congestion or runny nose, headache, muscle or body aches, nausea, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat. This includes students who are reported absent due to any one of the above symptoms.
Students with a documented medical condition provided by a licensed healthcare provider should not be excluded if the symptom(s) are related to their condition.
Exclude asymptomatic students who have had a postitive COVID-19 test OR live with someone diagnosed with COVID-19.
Exculde siblings of students who have had a positive COVID-19 test.
RETURN TO SCHOOL REQUIREMENTS
Student Has Been Evaluated by Healthcare Provider
Positive Lab Test
- Symptomatic - Fever free for 24 hours without fever reducing medications AND symptom(s) have resolved AND 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared. If the date of onset is unknown, then use the date of COVID-19 test collection.
- Asymptomatic - 10 days have passed since the date of COVID-19 test collection.
Negative Lab Test
- Fever free for 24 hours without fever reducing medications AND symptom(s) have resolved.
- Return to School in accordance with the AZDHS Communicable Disease Resource Guide. Examples include but are not limited to: Varicella, Tuberculosis, Influenza.
COVID Symptoms Have Not Been Evaluated by Healthcare Providers
- Students who have ANY ONE of the following symptoms: diarrhea, vomiting, chills, congestion or runny nose, headache, muscle or body aches, nausea, or sore throat:
May return to school when: symptoms have resolved within the first 24 hours AND have remained gone for 24 hours without the use of medication.
- If any symptom(s) last more than 24 hours: students may return to school when symptom(s) have resolved without the use of medication AND 10 days have passed since symptom(s) first appeared.
- If a student has ANY ONE ofthe following symptoms: a fever of 100.4 or above, new onset or worsening cough, shortness of breath not attributable to underlying cause, or loss of taste or smell:
They may return to school when: all symptoms have resolved without the use of medication AND 10 days have passed.
- A negative lab test is optional in place of 10 days. *A licensed healthcare provider note is not a substitute for a negative test to return.
*If students return to school with the same symptoms, they were originally sent home with, they will be required to follow the 10-day exclusion guidelines.
No Symptoms and Lives with Person Diagnosed with COVID-19 OR Primary Exposure
- Separate yourself form the ill person. Return to school when 14 days have passed since last exposure and no symptoms are present.
At this time, health care provider letters will not be accepted in place of 10 day or 14 day period or a negative lab test.
These recommendations are current as of 9.25.2020. Recommendations are subject to change as the situation evolves. For more information, please visit Maricopa County Coronavirus (Covid-19).