The District shall consider the need to initiate the Section 504 process for each request for a face covering accommodation. Parents may obtain their Section 504 procedural safeguards on the Arizona Department of Education website.
On Aug. 8, 2020, the Higley Unified School District Governing Board adopted a Face Covering Policy.
FACE COVERING POLICY
There is significant evidence that face masks provide protection and decrease the spread of COVID-19. Therefore, until further action of the Board, students, employees, parents, vendors, volunteers and all other visitors shall follow this Policy to protect against the spread of COVID-19 and to help ensure the health, safety and well-being of the school community.
A. Face coverings shall be worn at all times while an individual is on District property or at a District or school function, using District provided transportation, or at school bus stops, unless an exception applies (as set forth in this Policy).
B. Face coverings must fully cover the mouth and nose and fit snugly against the sides of the face with no gaps but allow for breathing without restriction.
C. Face coverings should not be worn by children under the age of 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or anyone who is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the face covering without assistance.
D. The District will follow its regular procedures to accommodate or otherwise address the special needs of students, employees or others with disabilities as those needs relate to the face covering requirements set forth in this Policy.
E. Face shields may be an acceptable alternative to face coverings, as approved by an authorized District employee. Individuals may choose to wear a face shield in addition to a face covering.
F. For purposes of this Policy, the term "physical distance” means a separation of at least six (6) feet between individuals.
A. This Policy applies to students in preschool through the 12th grade.
B. Parents/guardians are responsible for supplying face coverings for their students. Parents/guardians for whom providing face coverings will be a financial hardship should contact their site administrator for assistance.
C. Students shall wear face coverings unless one of the following exceptions apply:
- The student has trouble breathing.
- The student is eating or drinking.
- The student can physically distance, as determined by a District staff member.
- The student is outside on the playground with physical distancing.
- The student has been specifically permitted to remove the face covering on a caseby-case basis for specific instructional, medical or other reasons, as determined by anauthorized District staff member.
D. Students will be allowed breaks to remove their face covering throughout the day when physical distancing can be maintained.
E. Students who fail or refuse to abide by the provisions of this Policy may be subject to discipline consistent with District Policy and/or exclusion from on-site instruction.
A. This Policy applies to all District employees.
B. The District will provide face coverings to an employee, upon request.
C. In situations defined as high risk by Center for Disease Control (CDC), such as school nurses and some personal care assistants, the District will provide appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
D. Employees shall wear face coverings unless one of the following exceptions apply:
- The employee has trouble breathing.
- The employee is eating or drinking.
- The employee can physically distance.
- The employee must remove the face covering to effectively perform the employee’s job for specific instructional or other reasons.
E. Employees who fail or refuse to abide by the provisions of this Policy may be subject to discipline consistent with District Policy.
MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC (e.g. Parents, Volunteers, Vendors, Visitors)
A. This Policy applies to all members of the public.
B. Members of the public shall wear face coverings unless one of the following exceptions apply:
- The individual has trouble breathing.
- The individual is eating or drinking.
- The individual can physically distance.
- The individual must remove the face covering to effectively perform the individual’s job or fulfill the purpose for which they are on District property or at a District function.
C. Members of the public who fail or refuse to abide by this Policy may be directed to vacate the premises. The District may take any other action deemed appropriate.
Adopted: August 12, 2020
Governor’s Executive Order 2020-51