Dear HUSD Parents and Guardians,
The health and safety of our students and staff is a top priority for the Higley Unified School District. Thank you for your support and understanding as we respond to the unexpected changes that have impacted our community due to COVID-19.
You can help protect your family and others from COVID-19 by practicing and promoting everyday healthy habits. Parents are responsible for determining their child’s health status before arriving at school and for keeping their child at home should they present symptoms of any kind.
Use the Daily Screening Checklist. This screening will also be posted in and around school sites to reinforce daily health expectations.
Need to Know: Parents are responsible for staying informed on the latest facts and new developments related to COVID-19.
- Stay informed about COVID-19 through reputable sources such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Arizona Department of Health Services (AZDHS). This includes new information on symptoms, complications, how it is transmitted, and how to prevent transmission.
- Recognize the symptoms of COVID-19 (coughing, fever, shortness of breath etc.) in your child.
- Seek medical advice by calling your health facility/provider and then take your child in, if advised.
- Remember that symptoms of COVID-19 such as cough or fever can be similar to those of the flu or the common cold.
- Practice and reinforce good prevention habits with your family.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
If your child is sick, or needs to leave school
- If your child is sick with any illness, keep them home from school and notify the school of your child’s absence.
- Contact your child's school administration or the District Nurse with any concerns specifically related to COVID-19 and your child's health.
- Consider planning alternate childcare arrangements. Have a backup plan in the event your child needs to stay home from school or is sent home from school.
- Please make sure all contact information is always up to date. Updates can be made through your ParentVUE account at any time. If you need access to ParentVue, please contact your school’s front office.
Jillian Fulton, MSN, RN, PHN
Assistant Director of Health Services
Higley Unified School District