7th Grade Math Resource Syllabus
Miss Becky Welch
Sossaman Middle School 2019-2020 School Year
Office hours: Tuesday and Thursday 8:15-8:45 Room 229
The best way to reach me is email. Conferences are available by appointment.
The curriculum for this course aligns with the Arizona’s College and Career Readiness Standards for Mathematics which may be viewed on the Arizona Department of Education website. http://www.azed.gov/standards-practices/k-12standards/mathematics-standards/
Emphasis will be placed on:
Unit 1: Ratios and Proportional Relationships
Unit 2: The Number System
Unit 3: Expressions and Equations
Unit 4: Geometry
Unit 5: Statistics and Probability
Students are expected to keep the following teacher provided materials in class: Pencil, white board marker and eraser, text book.
Homework is an important part of learning and mastering math concepts. Students should expect to have 15 – 30 minutes of Math homework daily to reinforce concepts previously taught during class time. Students receive credit for the assignment provided they show their work, document reasonable effort and turn the assignment in on time.
100-90% - A
89-80% - B
79-70% - C
69-60% - D
59% or below – F
Semester grades consist of 80% assessments and 20% class classwork and homework
- SMS incorporates a modified 50% minimum grade policy. Any assignment submitted by a student that is accepted by the teacher will receive a minimum grade of 50%. Assignments will not be accepted that do not meet minimal standards of completion.
- On all assessments given by the teacher, there is no minimum grade. Students will receive the grade that they earned on the assessment.
- Any assignment that is not submitted within a week of the due date will remain a zero in the grade book.
- SMS encourages students to redo assessments on which they performed below their level of mastery. In order to be eligible to quiz correct a student must complete the following tasks:
- Students must complete Math Corrections Sheet completely; parent signature required. Circle corrections, please.
- ½ credit only can be earned back on the corrections (if you only missed ½ point then you cannot receive any credit back).
- All homework must be done before making the corrections.
- Any corrections must be turned in no later than one week from the date handed back to students.
- Not all assessments will be eligible to make corrections, it will be up to teacher discretion. Students are encouraged to prepare for assessments ahead of time.
Students will find the syllabus, notes, homework, and videos on canvas. This will be the place for students to go to seek information.
Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces is a Web-based, artificially intelligent assessment and learning system. ALEKS uses adaptive questioning to quickly and accurately determine exactly what a student knows and doesn't know in a course. ALEKS then instructs the student on the topics they are most ready to learn. As a student works through a course, ALEKS periodically reassesses the student to ensure that topics learned are also retained. ALEKS courses are very complete in their topic coverage and ALEKS avoids multiple-choice questions. A student who shows a high level of mastery of an ALEKS course will be successful in the actual course they are taking.
ALEKS also provides the advantages of one-on-one instruction, 24/7, from virtually any Web-based computer for a fraction of the cost of a human tutor.
If you are absent it is your responsibility to make-up missing assignments. See Canvas for notes missed and homework to complete.
After School Detention (ASD):
Sossaman Middle School staff and administration believe in the value and importance of teaching our students responsibility and accountability. As a result, students may be assigned After School Detention (ASD). ASD will be held three days a week. Students who are assigned ASD will serve on the next scheduled ASD day. Students will not serve on the day it is assigned in order to allow parents the opportunity to make arrangements to pick up their child. District transportation cannot be provided for ASD. Students will need to be picked up no later than 4:30 PM. ASD may be assigned by a teacher for the following reasons:
- Tardy to Class.
- Unprepared for Class (missing materials, pen/pencil)
- Failure to submit an assignment by the assigned due date.
The ASD program is not primarily meant to address behavior issues in the classroom. However, a teacher may utilize lunch detention, after school detention and hold student/parent conferences in order to address inappropriate behaviors in the classroom. These consequences are not related to the ASD program and will be accompanied by communication from the classroom teacher.
Positive behavior management will be practiced daily. Students are expected to follow class rules and procedures to ensure a positive, safe, and productive learning environment for everyone in the classroom. Below are some examples of expectations for my class.
- Be respectful to other students and teachers.
- Enter the classroom on time and bring a positive attitude.
- Be prepared by having all materials out and ready…including homework.
- No food, gum, candy, or drinks (other than water) in the classroom.
- No cell phones turned on or out on display.
- Follow the school dress code.
- Be polite by raising your hand.
- Be a collaborative team.
If a student is displaying disruptive or inappropriate behavior, the following steps will be taken:
- Verbal correction: Student reminded to be on task
- Refocus: Student is moved from the group to refocus his/her attention in my classroom.
- Lunch Detention: Students will spend lunch time in the detention room or with me.
- After School Detention: Parent will be notified and student will serve ASD the next day.
- Parent/teacher meeting: A behavior and/or work contract may be initiated
- Administrative Referral
Academic integrity is expected on all assignments. Plagiarism is defined as presenting the work of another as you own. Cheating on an assignment violates the school rules. Any work that demonstrates plagiarism will be given a zero, parental notification, and disciplinary action may also occur.