COURSE TITLE: 7th Grade Language Arts
- Collections: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
- Close Reader: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
- Novel List – To Be Announced
- Supplies: Composition notebook, glue, blue or black pens, pencils for daily use, colored pencils or thin markers, and a 2 pocket folder or section in a binder for this class.
- Wish List: Located on Amazon.com. Use following link: https://tinyurl.com/3akf7378
Teacher: Mrs. Bonita Vidaure
Credentials: Bachelors of Secondary Education—English
I am available by email and will respond in a reasonable timeframe (24-48 hours). I can also be reached before or after school by appointment. If you need anything, please let me know and we can work something out.
Course Topics and Objectives
- Exploring the different genres of literature; Becoming familiar with literary terms; Using composition to accurately express thoughts; Understanding grammar and its use.
- Understanding grammar and its uses, application through composition
- Expanding vocabulary and spelling capabilities
- Exploring the different genres of literature
- Becoming versed with academic, literary, and content terms
- Using composition to creatively express thoughts
CLASS PROCEDURES AND POLICIES
Students need to be on time. This means students are in class and ready to learn when the tardy bell rings. You need to be prepared for class with all necessary materials, working on Bellwork, and ready for further instruction when the bell rings. The tardy policy is as follows:
- 1st Tardy: Warning
- 2nd Tardy: Lunch detention and phone call/email
- 3rd Tardy and Beyond: Office referral.
If you are absent, you are responsible for checking the folders in the back and asking either peers or me what you missed and what you need to make up. This can be done in class after an absence, by checking Canvas, and/or the class calendar. If you know you are going to absent ahead of time, I may be able to provide you with work.
Participation is key to learning—if you want to succeed in school you have to participate. Students need to come to class prepared for what we will be doing in that day. This means having all materials needed, finishing homework/assignments, charge computers, and be ready to engage and have fun!
Expectations for Class Behavior and Demeanor
Treat the teacher and all other students with respect.
- Treat others as you would want to be treated- this includes teachers and students at any time.
- Listen to other when they are speaking.
- No talking back! Remember to be courteous to peers and teachers.
- Use only language that builds others up, not tears them down. NO PROFANITY or RACIAL SLURS of any kind will be tolerated.
- You are expected to dress in accordance with the school dress code at all times. If any portion of your undergarments (underwear, bra straps, etc) is visible you are in violation of the school dress code.
- No eating in class. No gum in class. No drinks in class- except water in a closed cap water bottle.
- Students are not to groom themselves in class- no brushes, sprays, lip gloss, etc.
- No throwing anything in the class- this includes water bottles, books, papers, pens/pencils, bags, etc.
Assignments in this course may be handwritten or typed. If you chose to type an assignment. No device issue will be considered valid. Assignments need to be in the proper format based on the guidelines (MLA format and properly cited). Assignments without the proper formatting will not be graded.
Assignments need to be turned in the day it is due to receive credit. Teacher digression will be used to determine if an assignment will be accepted. Students will have one day for each day missed to turn in late work. I will not remind you; students need to be responsible for their absences and late work. Special considerations will be given for emergency situations, which are events such as severe illness, death in the family, and catastrophes.
Academic honesty is an important practice throughout your educational career and is extremely important at Cooley Middle School. Plagiarism is not tolerated, and every source must be cited in MLA format. Students must submit their own original work, this means no work done for you by siblings, parents/guardians, websites, or other outside sources. Students that cheat will receive a 0%, parent/guardian will be contacted, will not be able to retake/redo the assignment. Students will also receive a lunch detention and office referral.
Grades will be inputted in the gradebook as I finished grading them. If you have a question about your score on an assignment, please come talk to me before or after school. I am happy to explain why you received the score you did. Please don’t hesitate to see me with any questions or issues. I am not perfect and if I have made an error, I will gladly correct it. I am always glad to discuss your grade with you and answer any questions you may have.
At Cooley, we want all students to have a fair chance of success, which is why we have a Retake Policy on all assessments. Please use this opportunity to your advantage! You will have 2 weeks after a test grade is posted to retake an assessment. See me for specific guidelines and requirements.
Percentage Values for Course Assignments
% of Final Grade
Assessments/ Projects/ Essays/ Quizzes
Classwork/ Practice/ Notebook Checks/ etc..
Semester Final Exams
Composition Notebook/ Assignments
You will be required to keep a notebook for all classwork. Each day, you will be required to write down the date, the learning objective for the day, and a response to the bellwork question. In addition, any notes or activities will go on this same page. From time to time, you will be given notes or worksheets to glue into your notebook. This daily information should be reviewed and studied each night. If you are absent it is your responsibility to locate and complete all assignments given during your absence. You will be allowed to make-up interactive material. Points will be deducted for incomplete material. Your writing must be legible; neatness is a requirement for a passing grade.
Reading is a vital part of your education. You will be expected to read not only poems, articles, short stories, and classroom novels while at school, but you must bring a the book of your choice that you are currently reading EVERYDAY. One of my goals for you is to find a genre that you LOVE. Whether it’s non-fiction about your favorite sports, mystery thrillers, or anything else, I just want you reading every single day! If you or your parents have any issues or concerns with assigned reading material, please do not hesitate to come to me immediately. I have a class library and the school has a large selection of young adult books. There is NO excuse for not having your book or reading 30 minutes of your book of choice after school.
Students will be assigned a personal computer during the first week of school. I WILL BE USING THESE EXTENSIVELY, PLEASE MAKE SURE TO BRING IT CHARGED EACH DAY. These will be used to access online articles, our online textbook, Galileo assignments/dialogs, and district assessments. You will be expected to use these computers appropriately and only for the assigned work/test. Please refer to the student technology agreement for more information.
Phones, Distractions, etc.
Phones, Apple Watches, and other technology are not allowed during the school day and must be kept in backpacks at all times. In addition, fidget spinners and anything that can be distracting to the student or their fellow peers will not be permitted. If a student is allowed some type of device according to an IEP or 504 paperwork, the proper accommodations will be made on a case by case basis.