Higley's kindergarten programs are designed to improve students' development in several ways, including:
- social skills (how to play with other children in a calm, sharing, rewarding manner);
- self-awareness and respect for others;
- emotional skills (understanding others' feelings);
- language, literacy, and numeracy skills, including reading and counting;
- a joy for learning, communicating and collaborating;
- ability to make new friends; and
- exposure to new ideas and concepts.
Higley schools help kindergarten students grow into academic enrichment programs with our THINK
programs K-3rd grade, and enrichment programs 3rd grade and up. Accelerated gifted and talented models are offered at each campus. Please visit our kindergarten specialty program pages on the left for more information.
Students' day-to-day schedule includes: workshop centers, reading/ELA, Math, Reading Groups, Social Studies, Science and Thematic Units. Students will also participate in the specials: Music, Physical Education, Library, Technology and Art.
Below is an example of a typical kindergarten schedule:
- Attendance/lunch count/pledge
- Classroom work
- AM snack and recess
- Quiet time/water and bathroom break
- Science or Social Studies
- PM Recess
- Pack up/free study
Learn more about our elementary schools: