This year we will be starting off with learning the Elements of Art and Principles of Design with how they are the building blocks of Art. We will then be exploring the following:
· Different mediums of art and their unique method of use.
o Learning how to use regular pencils for showing different line types
o Discovering and learning proper usage of Oil Pastels and how using their fingers to blend and fade can add beautiful effects of Value and Color to their work.
o Painting and how effective a brushstroke can really be.
· Artists throughout history, from Pablo Picasso and Vincent van Gogh to Norman Rockwell and Andy Warhol with a focus on specific elements of their style.
· We will explore the illustration styles of many children’s book authors like Eric Carle, Dr. Seuss, Chris Van Allsburg, Tomie DePaola, Steven Kellogg, and Maurice Sendak.
· Self Portrait
· Architecture and Design
· Clay sculpture and Ceramics
· Perspective and various 3D types of Art
· Collaborations with different class subjects, integrating art and core studies
I would like to ask of my 3rd through 6th Grade students’ parents or guardians that a sketchbook be purchased for your child’s art class. Size can vary, but anywhere between 8x10 or 9x12 will work. These can be purchased inexpensively at many stores such as Michael's, Jo-Ann Fabrics, Walmart, Staples and even Ross, usually between $5 to $10. I would like students to have their sketchbooks by Sept, so hopefully this will give you enough time to purchase one.This art tool will greatly enhance your child’s learning, not only for this year but beyond to the rest of their lives. My hope is that they will find creativity wherever they go.