Welcome to Orchestra!
Happy Summer! I'm very excited to get back to a new, and back to normal year, in orchestra next year! Below please find the list of required supplies. Please pay special attention to No. 2 below. Please, please, please, do not buy a string instrument for cheap online from site like Amazon or other big box stores. Especially if they are pink, purple, blue, green, or some other wacky color that a violin should never be. You and your child will definitely not be happy with it.
If you're insterested in summer orchestra, please check out that information here: Sossaman Summer Orchestra Program
Required Orchestra Supplies:
In order to be successful playing their instrument, students will need the following supplies:
1. Essential Elements, Book 1 - For your specific instrument
2. An Instrument - Instruments can be rented from a local music store, or from the school. Please do not buy an inexpensive instrument from a big box retailer or Amazon.
3. Rosin - Available at a local music store or online
4. Cleaning Cloth - Simply a small, dry, microfiber cloth. NO POLISH!
5. Violin/Viola - Shoulder Rest (I recommend the Everest Shoulder Rest), Cello - Floor Stop (chair strap or rubber stop works fine)
If there's any reason, finacially or other, please reach out and I will do what I can to get your child everything they will need. No child should have to miss out on musical opportunites due to finacial or other hardships.
Optional Supplies - Great for birthday/christmas gifts!
1. Music Stand - Helps keep music up and easy to see during practice sessions
2. Metronome - Helps keep your kids playing a steady tempo
3. Tuner - Used to keep our strings playing in tune
4. Extra Strings - Because strings will break
5. Shoulder Strap for case - Because kids don't like carrying things
My name is David Jacques, I’ve been teaching music classes since 2011 but have been a student of music my whole life. From the ﬁrst time I smashed a few keys on Grandma’s piano, ﬁguring out how to combine those random pitches into something beautiful like a master woodcarver creating art from an old stump, became a life’s passion.
There is simply not enough beauty in our world, which is why I couldn’t be more excited to take a handful of children and chisel away the screeching tones, dragging rhythms, and wildly out-of-tune melodies until we have something beautiful.