We are happy to announce that Cooley Middle School athletics is to begin when we return from Fall Break!
UPDATE: On October 13th-15th from 3:55pm-5pm, coaches will be holding Conditioning Days for students who are planning on trying out for any of the Season 1 sports. If you're planning on having your child attend, please note the following:
- Only students with a CURRENT sports physical will be able to participate.
- Students must have appropriate clothes and shoes for sports conditioning (ie: sneakers, joggers, athletic shorts, etc...).
- Students will meet in the cafeteria after school and check in.
- Coaches will allow them to change after they check in.
- Pick up is promptly at 5pm.
We are encouraging you to go through the registration process as soon as possible to ensure that your child is ready for try-outs on day one! Below you will find the information for the 2020-2021 CMS Athletic Season:
Sports & Season Dates:
Track & Field
- To be able to fit every sport into the remainder of the school year, we have modified the schedule to reflect shorter seasons.
- Season schedule includes home and away games, playoff, and championship game.
- In an attempt to promote participation in athletics for all students, East Valley Conference schools offer the following non-cut sports: Cross Country, Wrestling, and Track & Field
- Students will not be permitted to attend try-outs prior to completing the registration process, nor will they be permitted to tryout LATE this year, due to the current circumstances.
- For safety reasons, all students must have the proper athletic clothing and shoes in order to try-out.
- Out of respect to the coaches, try-outs are not open to parents and family members. Try-outs are a time for students to focus, take direction from the coach, and demonstrate their skills. We believe that this happens best with no outside distractions.
- Tryouts will be held from 4pm-6pm; please ensure that your child is picked up promptly at 6pm.
- There is a $100 athletic fee per sport, per student. Cash & checks can be accepted, in the library. However, if you would like to pay by card you may do so on the registration website. Checks can be made out to HUSD#60.
- There is a $350 family cap at the middle school level.
- Scholarships are available based on free and reduced lunch eligibility. Please complete the following Scholarship Application Form to have your eligibility verified.
- Uniforms are loaned from the school and must be returned in good condition at the end of the season or you will be charged to replace it. Parents should expect to provide shoes and general safety equipment for their athlete depending on the sport (ie: soccer shoes and shin guards, basketball shoes, mouth guards, knee pads). See the coach for their specific expectations for each sport.
- Participation fees can be paid using tax credit donations. Tax credits can be $200 individually or $400 per family.
Please complete the following steps:
- Read the Register My Athlete Instructions.
- Complete the Athletic Clearance Packet electronically. We no longer accept paper registration.
- All forms can be viewed and signed electronically. All additional required forms must be uploaded to your account (i.e. physical forms and concussion test results).
- The Physical Forms can be upload and brought to your healthcare provided. Please note that physicals must be dated after March 1, 2020 to be used for the 2020-2021 school year.
- ALL students athletes must complete a AIA Concussion Awareness and Quiz. To complete the AIA Concussion Awareness and Quiz, please go to http://aiaacademy.org. You will need to create a login and password and register as a 9th grade student at Williams Field High School. Upon completion of the test, you will receive verification of completion that will include the students name, Arizona Interscholastic Association, and final score in the way of a percentage, and a confirmation code.
- If your student took the concussion course in 7th grade, please upload a copy of that certificate. Copies can be found in your account. The course does not need to be repeated.
- All athletes are required to have medical insurance. If your athlete is not covered by medical insurance, HUSD has partnered with Myers-Stevens, and Toohey to provide student accident insurance at an affordable price. Please visit here for more information.
What to Expect at Practices & Games:
- Practice times will vary and could include mornings (determined by coaches). Please plan for travel plans after games/practice.
- Practices are closed to parents/spectators.
- Please make sure you are on time; coaches will have specific guidelines regarding late pick ups.
- Games begin at 4:30 PM.
- All students who are eligible will have game time.
- Coaches are responsible for determining the duration of play.
- Student grade checks will be done each Thursday, beginning the 1st week of the season. Due to the shortened seasons, games begin immediately and, therefore, require a grade check.
- Any student failing may not play until the grade is brought up to passing.
- Any student failing a class will not be eligible to play in the next game.
- Students with discipline issues at school may not be eligible for participating in games.
- Students must attend school for at least the final 3 periods of the day to be eligible to play in a game.