Support HUSD and receive up to a $400 AZ Tax Credit. Your tax dollar donations fund extra-curricular activities and opportunities for students. If you wish to make a donation, please see our Tax Credit page for more information.
OPEN HOUSE 7-21
Please join us at Cooley Middle School on Wednesday, July 21st from 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. for our Back To School Open House Night. Drop in any time during those hours to do the following:
- Pickup your class schedule
- Follow the school map (provided that night) to find your classrooms
- (Teachers will not be in their classrooms, however you will meet them at our upcoming Curriculum Night)
- Purchase Cougar gear and PE uniforms
- Set up your meal account and make a deposit
- Gather transportation information
*Presentation by Principal, Shawn Varner, at 6:00 p.m. in the gymnasium.
A heads up for our 7th Grade Students and families, we will be hosting our WEB Orientation for all 7th grade students on Tuesday, July 27th (during the school day). Students will meet with their 8th grade WEB Leaders to learn about Cooley and jump start their 7th grade year!
WEB, or Where Everybody Belongs, is a middle school orientation and transition program that welcomes 7th graders and makes them feel comfortable throughout their first year of their middle school experience.
Mark Your Calendar
- School starts Monday, July 26th, 8:55 a.m. – 3:50 p.m.
- Curriculum Night Wednesday, August 4th, 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
1st Quarter Athletic Information
Welcome to Cooley Athletics! 1st Quarter sports are on track to begin on Tuesday, July 27th. Tryouts for Girls Volleyball, Flag Football, Boys Baseball and Cheer will run Tuesday, July 27th - Thursday, July 29th. All athletes need to be registered and cleared in Register My Athlete prior to tryouts. Please visit the Cooley website under the Athletic tab for all registration information.
Tardy Student Sign In Policy Update
It was previously communicated that students coming in after the school day began without a parent would need to call to have a parent come sign them in. While we still encourage parents to sign their student in and communicate with attendance and the front office, we will no longer be having students call parents if they are not with them. Please note that the tardy policy in place remains in effect.
Here are a few friendly reminders about tardies.
- Even if a parent signs their student in, only excused reasons will not result in tardy consequences. Tardies are excused for doctor’s appointments, illnesses, etc. Parents, please be specific on the type of appointment when signing your student in.
- (2) unexcused tardies within a month, regardless of time of day, will result in a lunch detention. After three lunch detentions (6 tardies), students serve an in-school suspension.
- If a student is tardy in the first 10 minutes of a class, no matter the reason, attendance will reflect a TA code for the tardy. However, with a doctor, ortho, etc. note or a parent signature and specific appointment reason listed, it will be excused, which will be excluded from tardy consequences.
Emergency Contact Information
As a reminder, emergency contacts are designated adults that are able to pick up your student when they need to leave school due to a medical emergency. The school cannot release a student to an emergency contact for other reasons such as to go to lunch, appointments, etc. To release a student during the school day to someone other than a parent/guardian, the school needs parent permission ahead of time. Thank you!
CMS Front Office Procedures
In order to minimize the disruptions to instruction, we are restricting deliveries to students to items that are essential to the educational process. Therefore, classes will not be interrupted for delivery of items.
If it is absolutely necessary to drop off an item for your student, it will be stored in the front office storage area. Your student can come and get their item between classes or during lunch. Please note that we are not responsible for dropped off items.
Flowers, birthday items, pizza, etc. will not be accepted from businesses for delivery. Restaurant deliveries are also not allowed including Door Dash, Uber, etc.
The front office will NOT be responsible for delivering items to students.
Please also note that we do our best to deliver phone messages. Messages are delivered the last 5 minutes of a class period in order to not interrupt instructional time.
Thank you for your understanding!
August 11, 2021
August 25, 2021
1:35 PM - 11:00 PM Early Release: Middle School Professional Development